domingo, 5 de junho de 2011

Jeremy

And he hit me with a surprise left
My jaw left hurting
Oh dropped wide open
Just like the day
Oh like the day i heard



Em puto tive vários diários mas nunca os soube usar. Por diversas vezes tentava começar um diário mas limitava-me a descrever o meu dia-a-dia durante um punhado deles e depois, enfadado, deixava de o fazer.
 

Hoje sei que apenas determinados acontecimentos despertam a minha necessidade de escrever. Apenas os sentimentos que advêm dessas situações, na verdade. Amor, ódio, raiva, saudade, tristeza, alegria... e em criança essas coisas não se manifestavam como hoje. Era tudo mais relativizado, não as entendia e como tal não conseguiria construir opiniões fundamentadas. Normal, acho eu.

Quando era mais novo, a minha felicidade cingia-se a poder ir andar de bicicleta ou a espalhar Legos pelo chão da sala; a minha tristeza manifestava-se na impossibilidade da minha felicidade; não me lembro de alguma vez ter sentido raiva senão quando os Legos que possuía não eram suficientes para a empreitada em curso; ódio foi um sentimento que apenas descobri já na adolescência, embora não o soubesse na altura. Mas uma coisa que tive desde que me lembro, e muito, foram saudades. Mas nunca as escrevi, talvez porque sentar-me no chão a brincar ou montar-me em cima dos pedais me permitia abstrair delas. Gostava que ainda assim fosse.

Isto não é um lamento, apenas uma introspecção... hoje isso também já virou passado e por isso não vou escrever sobre o que poderia ter escrito no passado, sobre eventos com já duas décadas, desenterrar memórias e acontecimentos que ficaram esquecidos e que assim se querem.

Hoje fui simplesmente ler alguns dos apontamentos que tenho feito quando não tenho internet disponível para os publicar de imediato, os quais preciso anotar para não me esquecer. Às vezes é aquela frase, naquela hora, e não me posso dar ao luxo de a perder. Muitas vezes, quando vou para as publicar, refreio. O sentimento já afrouxou; as palavras já não fazem sentido; ou simplesmente, mais calmo, me apercebo que escrevi coisas impulsivamente e sobre as quais já meditei mais e melhor e já não são o que pensava serem.

Aconteceu que hoje encontrei dois apontamentos feitos há uns meses atrás os quais pensei terem sido impulsivos e não tão  acertivos quanto isso, mas quero hoje publicá-los. Estão em inglês porque às vezes me apetece escrever em inglês; não os traduzo porque sei que cairei na tentação de alterar uma vírgula ou duas...


Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, Jan. 09th 2011 17:31 (GMT+3)

Where is the excitement?!

I stopped to think in my present condition: I’m working abroad, doing what I said… what I thought I wanted to do for living, having done practically a voyage around the world, but I feel no excitement at all. I find no reason that makes me want to wake up in the morning, I find no job interesting and I’m always looking at the clock looking for the time I can get some sleep: at least the time flows by a little bit faster.
Should I feel like this?! Do other people live like this?
A month ago I went ashore in China. After practically 3 months on board, I stepped solid ground in a place it’s said to be half work away and… well, banal! I was expecting to feel like a child, smashing my face against the car’s window looking at everything, trying to absorb every detail, but that didn’t happen. In fact, it seemed just like a trip to a chinese store back home: the same smell of boiled rice mixed with dust and baby poo, the same dirt found in those same stores and a lot of Chinese who speak nothing else but their home language.
China is definitely a dirty country. I’ve been told this before but now I saw it with my own eyes. They are simply dirty people, the streets are all filled with dust and the air is thick and chocking. Too noisy, too much confusion, chaotic traffic, too many neon lights.
Today we’re at anchor in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia’s Red Sea cost. We are simply waiting for the end of the month to finally discharge our cargo in a nearby port. Today I feel miserable, missing everybody in general, one in particular. Today I try to fill my free time reading, playing games or watching movies, but nothing catches my attention. I also tried to walk on deck, but I don’t really want to move a muscle. I try to sleep, but I mind doesn’t let me.
I’m running out of options here. I don’t know what to do with my life, I don’t know what I want if I really want anything at all.
All I want in life is to be happy.


Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, Feb. 21st 2011 19:28 (GMT+3)
This happened not long ago.
It’s said that man is a creature of habits. Especially when one is confined in a small space for a long period, these habits tend to manifest themselves with a bigger emphasis.
This mean that, besides getting out of the bed at 07h00m and check my e-mail at 19h00m on a daily basis, I have a peaceful American Coffee in the ECR soon after lunch together with third engineer. During these coffee’s, we either discuss some subjects related to our work on board or some other bullshit.
During one of these coffees somewhere last week, we had no subject to discuss. Because a long silence is most times very disturbing, I just said something like “within 4 hours we’re done for today!” and put a big smile in my face.
- And why is that you want 17h that much? Have you got a date?!
For those who don’t get the irony in his words, we have been anchored 12 km’s outside of Jeddah for the last two months. And even if we weren’t, we certainly wouldn’t be able to go ashore anyway, so of course I didn’t have a date of any kind.
However, the answer to his question was simple: the sooner the time goes by, the sooner I’m back home.
After this I realized that for the last 4 or even 5 months I have been counting the time in weeks, not in days. “They signed-off two weeks ago” or “it took us five and a half weeks to get to China” are two examples of how I began to relate time. I don’t find it good, because while ashore I always find situations on my daily life that set a mark, something that I will remember for a while and will help me to relate time; here I don’t. All days are equal and I hardly find something that can make each day unique. And so, I feel like time is going by fast, carrying along the life I could or I wish I could have had.
Yeah, I’m still young you might say; but so they were when they came on board 30 and 40 years ago and look what they have turned into…!

Para terminar, como diria António Gedeão «o sonho comanda a vida» e ser embarcadiço deixou de ser o meu sonho.

Sem comentários: